10 days ago:
“We’re having a satsang from 4 to 7 in the evening,” my Mom said to me on the phone 1 week before I left for my vacation.
“3 hours! Mom, that’s too long,” I exclaimed. “I’ll bring my laptop,” I sighed resignedly. We were discussing my Patti’s 84th birthday celebrations. I’d been looking forward to seeing her after 3 years, and the occasion of her birthday made it all the more special. Only, Maxine is a hardcore scientist, and as a natural corollary she is also something of an atheist. This makes her slightly impatient with long-drawn out rituals and 3-hour long devotional song sessions.
Yesterday:
Mom: Maxine, what are you wearing to Patti’s today?
Me: Jeans and a kurti.
Mom: Wear a salwar suit.
Me: I don’t have any.
Mom: But Jeans to a satsang!
Me: I am wearing a kurti Mom, come on. (In my head-Why does what I wear matter? Who’s going to be looking at me anyway!)
Mom: People will be watching you. You need to dress appropriately.
My head: Bloody hell. Mind-reader!
Me (the person): I am going to shower.
I emerged 20 minutes later to find a brand new salwar suit laid out on the bed.
Mom: Wear this.
Me: Where’d you get it?
Mom: I bought it for you a few months ago.
Me: *Shakes head in amazement at diabolical level of planning and wears salwar suit.*
2 hours later:
Patti: Maxine, I’ve been waiting for you. I am so glad you are here.
Maxine: *too choked to speak*
Patti: I saw you on the live webcast, they gave you the PhD. I didn’t move away for 3 hours. I was waiting for you. They called your name out. I am so proud of you. Congratulations, Double doctor.
Maxine: *too choked to speak*
Patti: I didn’t think I’d see you again. But you are here, finally. I am so pleased.
Maxine: *Something in my contacts, too choked to speak*
Maxine, as you can tell is somewhat sentimental about her grandmother. Read this, for more on this wonderful, wonderful lady. Seeing her and spending time with her yesterday was something I can’t truthfully describe. Suffice it to say my heart is full. And my contacts had something in them all evening.
I took stock of my Patti. In spite of her illness and obvious weakness, She looked cheerful and happy. She’d lost weight and her cheeks were sunken. The lady I knew, the indefatigable woman with boundless enthusiasm, always properly attired in a 9-yards saree was nowhere to be seen, except in the occasional flashes of energy in her eyes when she spoke of the people she doted on. From time to time, she lapses into a strange alternate reality of her own. A place where she often goes, to meet the ones she loves and misses. She tells us of the grandchildren she met only yesterday, the ones she cooked for last week, the son who came to see her 2 days ago. My Mother and my uncle (her primary care-giver) seemed to look upon her flights of fantasy with indulgence. For some reason, (and maybe it is because I don’t see her regularly) it made me intensely sad. After all, she is but projecting what she wants. On a more philosophical level, at least she is getting it, I guess.
I also took stock of my Patti’s life style. I’d heard from my Mother that she has good days and bad ones. An oxygen cylinder next to her bed, provided firm testament to the bad days, when she struggled to take a breath. Packets of adult diapers reminded me she no longer had the advantage of retaining the basic dignity we all take for granted. A catheter bag hanging on her wheel chair enforced the reality that she barely controlled any of her faculties any more. Neither her body. nor her mind.
I sat next to my Patti all evening long. She held my hand loosely in hers. We listened to the satsang together. The people singing were from a temple she had frequented all her life. They took it in turns to sing. Maybe it was because the hardened cynic in me had all but melted into a puddle of mush after seeing her, but I quite enjoyed it. They sang melodiously and with plenty of variation in their song selection. A Tukaram abhang washed away the final dregs of resistance, and I sang a few bars myself. The story of Sant Tukaram is a poignant one, and one I absolutely love. Born into a lower caste, and poor with it, Tukaram’s love for God led him to compose beautiful verses in praise of his Lord. He faced plenty of resistance for usurping a task traditionally reserved for the higher caste Brahmins. But one when cannot help one self, like Tukaram absolutely could not, one cares not for society and its rules. He continued doing what he was meant to do, and while the romantic version of the story says he was escorted to heaven by the Lord himself, the grainier truth is that he probably paid for his devotion with his life. The ability to do what one loves with no bar is a gift. One that I am lucky enough to possess. But the courage and patience to do what must be done for a loved one is on a good day, a task. On a bad day, it is a burden. The young lady wheeling my Patti around the house, and listening to her petty complaints with patience does things for her that I would find very hard to do. My uncle and her Nurse treat her with love and patience and care for her in ways that seem unimportant, but are really quite important. Like braiding her hair nicely so she looks her best. Like cooking her the dishes she asks for on a regular basis. Like holding her hand, and talking soothingly to her on restless nights when she cannot sleep. To me, they are heroes. The satsang wound down well after the 3 hours they had initially allotted. Apparently, Maxine wasn’t the only one who got carried away!
Like any Indian function, nothing is complete without a fabulous meal. My Aunt had cooked up a storm. After my grandmother cut the mango cake I had bought for her, we dug into a South Indian spread. As we prepared to leave for home, my grandmother whispered in my ear, “Come stay with me for a few days!”
“I will”, I promised.
Poignant. Brought some memories back. Some, I am shamefaced to admit, of impatience and disinterest on my side. The time with loved ones is so short, that though I feel deeply, my callous exterior and cynical mind are unable to release the depth of those emotions at the appropriate times. It is only later, in the daily grind of life, in the suddenly quiet moments that such scenes come up and smack me in the face.
ReplyDeleteI am glad, Maxie, that you are able to enjoy, and appreciate such moments.
The Jungle Beats a mellow hum today.
This was just... it happens to all of us, when we see how frail our heroes of childhood become.
ReplyDeleteWonderfully written V, with a melancholic feel to it that left me sadder than I was five minutes ago.
Once again a beautiful post Vidhya!!!! I felt like I was there in the room with u:-)).
ReplyDelete@rituals...I guess on a day to day we will not tolerate it too well but once in a while we don't mind at all especially if it is in the company of loved ones:-).
As a care giver for my mom..I know what it is to like to be at times impatient and wanting your life back..and the loss of diginity when your parents become little more than children..I relate too completely..but the time spent is improtant and nothing can take it away..NOTHING..and after every thing is over...you can think of the TIme spent..good and bad .and they are the memories you have..
ReplyDeleteYou are blessed and lucky to have the time to spend with her..
Love
Zainab..
PS..have been ,meaning to skype you ..will do one of these days..
Maxine, the point about seeing our loved ones go through their life in a way that leaves them and us uncomfortable was heart-warming. Especially when they have been our idols from childhood.
ReplyDeleteGlad you found your own fun in the sathsang and spent some quality time with your pattu. My daadi is dealing with Alzheimers and some time she doesn't remember when I meet her. Every time I meet her she thinks I'm seeing her for the first time during my visit to India. But I continue to cherish those moments, coz I know at some point those moments are all that I will have.
LOL about the forward planning with the salwar. Mom's will always be moms.
Word about the salwar! But in my case it is always half sarees! I'm used to wearing salwars as my college had dress code. Fockers used to allow us to wear jeans, with a knee length kurti only on Saturdays!
ReplyDeleteSo I'm okay with chudis and salwars as long as I go to the tailor, who lives 7 kms away, and the traffic makes it, in perfect Hydi lingo, 'Ek Ghante ka rasta', and give it for stitching.. But the problem arises when festivals come nearer, and one day my mom disappears mysteriously, and she calls after an hour and tells me she's at Nalli's or KalyanaKanchi..
And the part about meeting Patti.. Vidhya, really touching. What is it about Grannies that always makes us proud and somehow teary at the same time?! Their unconditional love, I think. the way their faces light up the moment they see us walking towards them, the way they call us as 'Kanna'.. The way they always ask us if we want to have that dish that is delicious only when made by them.. It is all there, you know..
And the satsang part.. I can't really comment. Because I do enjoy spiritual music. Brings out this really sincere and quiet side of Appy, which many are not witnesses to! :P :D
Great write up, Vidhya! :)
Maxine........travel blog and i was expecting places and new discoveries and poeple...in a more touris setting..............and i read this ......a return home....a journey many fo us who have moved away do....yet dont recognise as travelllllnot just the distance in KM or the waters....but it is those bridges that we crossed to get away when we walk back.....we see things we never saw before and see the old things differenlty............or the things we used to see have grwon and moved on............and yet the new reality and blended in with old connections and deep bonds than change but never fail....yes do come and stay a few days........................
ReplyDeletenamaskaram to your Patti...(a warm hug to her care givers ....)and a salute to Amma......they get better with age...you did not see that coming did ya (the salwar....i get hit time and again and i never learn)
tangam