Friday, February 24, 2012

Whimsy alert#1: The Beach Waltz

I have been slightly obsessed with this painting for several years now. I saw a print in shop once, and fell in love. Perversely, I never bought the print. I am saving it for when I have my own home and my own walls to plaster with all the prints I love. But I look at it every now and again online. I have since found that the original painting (called The Singing Butler) is by Jack Vettriano. I wrote something about it. What I think is happening, so to speak. It's all very cute. Vidhya loves. Maxine says puerile drivel. You judge for yourself. But first, feast your eyes on this.



The Beach Waltz


The wet sand
 feels squelchy.
Your arm around me
Anchors.
Red silk whispers
against Black.
The cold makes me pull
Closer.
She and him watch over
Us fondly.
Umbrellas held over us to
Protect.
We dance to a tune
Well loved.
Worn and old and
Comforting.
It’s cloudy, chilly and
Almost dusk.
We should get back to the
Children.
One more waltz you smile
And dip.
One more dance, and then
Home.
You make everyday a
Happy Day.
And on my birthday, we waltz
Forever. 


8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful painting, never seen it b4 tho but then I'm no connoisseur;-P.

    Lovely poem Vidhya, fleshes out the mood.....cant help but wonder what the painter was thinking when he painted it:-))!!

    Cheers,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am no connoisseur either. It just caught my eye and I fell in love. And glad you liked the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The painting is amazing! Its very beautiful :)

    Love the poem, Vidhya, it has such a peaceful (?) feel to it!
    Great job <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture too! It's so normal yet sublime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Gosh I don't understand anything about these things! Pretty sad considering I studied art for 3 years ( Now u can imagine why I study law instead, way more logic! And more effective if you wanna knock yourself out just pick up a book!) the only thing I got from my 3 years is that I love abstract and surreal works and came to the conclusion that I love Dali's works! Now about yhis one, I don't seem to understand it ( reason explained above?) but I do imagine it could look awesome in your house! Love the poem!
    - Sankadevi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't pretend to understand Art either. I just like what appeals to my sensibilities. As for understanding the painting...I'm sure I don't. I'm sure the artist intended something completely different. It's just my (foolish!) take on it is all. Thanks Sankadevi!

    ReplyDelete